Checklist and Tips for Successful Use of ALZET Osmotic Pumps
ALZET Pump Instructions
Read the instruction sheet that comes with the ALZET pumps. Refer to your specific lot information on the instruction sheet, included with your pumps. Removing this sheet from the box of pumps will not affect the sterility of the pumps, since they are independently packaged.
Sterility of the ALZET Pumps and Drug Solution
- Maintain sterility of the ALZET pumps. They cannot be re-sterilized or re-used.
- Fill the ALZET pumps using a bacterial filter attachment to the filling syringe. More regarding sterility
Formulation of Solution
- Calculate the concentration of solution needed to achieve your daily dose, using a particular pump. Use your lot specific data (e.g., mean pumping rate*) when calculating the needed concentration. See our interactive concentration calculator.
- Ensure the solution is soluble and stable for the duration of the study at 37 degrees Celsius.
- Verify compatibility of the compound (see
our list of references) and solvent (list
of compatible solvents) with the ALZET pumps. If the compatibility
of your compound or solvent are unknown, use an ALZAID
Chemical Compatibility Kit to obtain this information.
More regarding formulating
- Verify that your animal meets the minimum size requirements for the selected pump model and route of administration. Animal Size Chart
- Use aseptic technique
- Weigh pumps with flow moderator before filling.
- Use the filling tube provided (extras may be purchased).
- Fill the pumps with the curved end down.
- Fill with the flow moderator removed.
- A small amount of backpressure is normal. If you experience too
much pressure, try:
- Tilting the needle at a slight angle to allow for air to escape
- Inserting and removing the flow moderator a few times to widen the exit port
- Have more than enough solution in the syringe when filling. Fill the pumps completely, then obtain the exact amount filled through weighing the pumps. This figure may be greater than the nominal fill volume. It should be greater or equal to 90% of the mean fill volume for your lot number (located on the instruction sheet). Complete Filling Instructions
(mandatory for all catheter applications)
- If you desire the pump to start immediately, are working with a viscous solution, or if you wish to attach a catheter, priming is recommended.
- Priming the pumps for the specified amount of time will not decrease
your infusion duration.
The time required for the pumps to achieve steady state will depend upon your specific model. Priming Times and Procedures
- Use aseptic techniques
- Make the subcutaneous pocket large enough to accommodate the pump.
- You may order a complimentary surgical procedures video. For complete implantation instructions, see your package insert.
- You can also view our online surgical video
- The ALZET pumps must be explanted by one additional half-life. (See explanting, when and why).
- Explanting of the pumps enables them to be examined and verified for accurate delivery performance. (See verifying delivery)
*Lot Specific Performance Data: The nominal performance is a target for all pumps manufactured. Individual lots of pumps may vary from this target within limits. The actual pumping rate and fill volume of a particular lot (derived by statistical testing) are listed on the top of the instruction sheet included with the pumps. To inquire about a specific lot number, or if you have specific questions, please contact technical support at 1-800-692-2990.
- Ensure around-the-clock exposure to test agents at predictable levels
- Permit continuous administration of short half-life proteins and peptides
- Provide a convenient method for the chronic dosing of laboratory animals
- Minimize unwanted experimental variables and ensure reproducible, consistent results
- Eliminate the need for nighttime or weekend dosing
- Reduce handling and stress to laboratory animals
- Small enough for use in mice or very young rats
- Allow for targeted delivery of agents to virtually any tissue
- Cost-effective research tool
Request a custom bibliography search or select from our list of citations available on-line: