Animal diets (Research Diets Inc.): Custom Purified diets for laboratory animals
Braintree Scientific Inc.: Provides a variety of reseach equipment and supplies
Plastics One, Inc.: Wide selection of materials for brain cannulations (i.e. brain infusion cannulae, stabilizing screws, steel bits, pin vise)
ß-cyclodextrins: Alternative vehicle for enhancing the solubility of hydrophobic compounds.
ALZET Surgical Implantation video (vimeo): This video describes surgical techniques for implantation of ALZET pumps in mice and rats. Demonstrated procedures include subcutaneous and intraperitoneal implantation, and the use of a catehter for intravenous (jugular), intrathecal, intragastric, and cerebral infusion.
Direct intraventricular delivery of drugs to the rodent central nervous system. JoVE video article demonstrating ICV delivery to the mouse CNS using ALZET pumps.
Mouse external jugular catheterization and ALZET pump implantation: You Tube video by Univ. of Arizona College of Medicine
Animal models of Alzheimer's disease (including the Samaritan FAB rat): Taconic webinar on You Tube
Vet Technicians: Extensive digital library of learning resources for veterinary professionals
Pub Med Central: The U.S. National Library of Medicine's free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature.
Handbook of Pre-clinical Continuous Intravenous Infusion: Excellent overview of surgical procedures, equipment, and practical tips for conducting intravenous infusion studies in various laboratory animal species.
- Ensure around-the-clock exposure to test agents at predictable levels
- Permit continuous administration of short half-life proteins and peptides
- Provide a convenient method for the chronic dosing of laboratory animals
- Minimize unwanted experimental variables and ensure reproducible, consistent results
- Eliminate the need for nighttime or weekend dosing
- Reduce handling and stress to laboratory animals
- Small enough for use in mice or very young rats
- Allow for targeted delivery of agents to virtually any tissue
- Cost-effective research tool